There are a number of key differences between SmartStops.net and Tradestops.com. In fact, one of our subscribers after using Tradestops for awhile, told us – “you get us out much sooner then Tradestops”. Click here to see some examples of that..
Here are some of the key comparisons:
1. Recently, a lot of “marketing claims” are being made by Tradestops (aka TradeSmith) who joined the Agora Financial group that should be carefully examined. It is very easy to cherry pick or fix up a chart to show the best result possible. That is not what SmartStops will ever do. Our claims and charts shown are all actual. And we’ve been doing this for over a decade. In fact, you can go look for yourself. We stand for complete truth, honesty and transparency We offer 2 Free Analyze Risk symbols to you to look up with 5 year historical data. And if you need more history, just contact us and we’ll be happy to provide.
Another outrageous marketing claim from Tradestops is that it is a system built off Nobel-winning research. But guess what? Dr. Smith is not unique. In fact everyone in the industry has read all of the research that has led to the rise of behavioral finance (based on Kaneham). That is why there is now an active (vs. passive) management in stock market investing. Plus, Dr. Smith’s claim to be the “only one doing this” reflects poorly on Tradestops given he’s known of SmartStops existence from the start. Why? Because we actually had discussions about working together so that his platform would become Smart(R).
2. Tradestops did join the Agora Financial group which is comprised of Newsletter publishers. Agora is well-known for questionable marketing practices and a marketing machine that once they grab your email , will try to sell you on so many different newsletters and other services. Or sell you a bundle service that can cost you $3000+ a year! One can check out their BBB rating and reviews here. Plus you may want to check out some previous Agora member comments here. Even today, they are still at it, trying to tout Dr. Steve Sjuggerud who was recently calling for the “Melt-up” but now with the Corona-virus spread and markets drop, talking about the next crash. They so want to get you with “Fear of Missing out or FOMO” or fear period. You won’t ever find SmartStops engaging in such over-the-top sensationalized marketing.
And here’s something else questionable in business practice in joining with Agora. We just learned from a previous Tradestops customer that wen they signed up, they thought they had 30 days to decide or get a refund. Nope! Read the fine print they say – as you will only get a credit towards other services they offer. So once they have your money… that’s it!
3. The SmartStops engine is built off four decades of real market experience with people who previously ran hedge funds and worked on the institutional side. Though Tradestops would like to make a marketing claim, that their system is somehow superior because it analyzes 61000+ data points – those in the industry, especially certified market technicians know it’s not that more data analyzed results in better analysis. The real gurus in this industry know that the key choices in ingredients and how they are combined or changed – that this is what really makes the difference between better results from one system to another.
4. The claim that Tradestops has a “revolutionary” new approach is beyond comprehension. Do they really believe that measuring just Volatiity and creating a Volatility Quotient which only adjusts once a week is a revolutionary approach? Volatility is just a measure of price action movement. That is not enough analytics to really be a proper “risk” measure. Just because you have a wider range of price action does not equate that a symbol has become a more riskier symbol. Many industry gurus have commented about the short-sightedness of focusing on Volatility to manage risk in this article (click here). Also, Tradestops VQ or Volatility Quotients are only calculated once a week on the weekends. That makes any model much less responsive to properly protect profits. You can learn more about our unique approach which incorporates a number of important factors that are both on the macro and micro front, on our Smart(R) Trailing Stop page.
5. SmartStops provide INSTANT Risk Alerts during the market day. From what we have seen, Tradestops sends there alerts after the market has closed. And we now have our Mobile App launched (for Android and soon for IOS), which will also send Instant Alerts to a subscriber’s cell phone and not just an email. Plus – it’s in REAL-TIME, not after the market closes.
6. From a pricing standpoint, it appears that Tradestops bases its pricing plan on alerts. So for $19 a month (seen on their website as of Feb. 2019), you get up to 200 alerts. A fee too which you must pay all up front, and note our previous comment about no actual “refund”. That compares to SmartStops plans at ~$12/month for 10 symbols (if you pay annually) or $14.95/month billed monthly. And you can cancel anytime online yourself and get a pro-rated refund for unused time. And with SmartStops we aren’t going to restrict based on alerts – as whatever your have stored in your customized portfolio is always going to be covered no matter how many alerts that may take!
7. SmartStops keeps alerting as the decline may intensify. We know you may not use Stop Loss orders proactively. But we do want you to pay attention to the Risk Alerts. So though you may not take action say on the 1st one, if you receive yet another one the next day – that should spur you into some kind of decision-making process. As long as the symbol remains in your portfolio we will keep alerting you. In fact, once a “real” symbol decline has been detected, our system produces an adjusted approach that helps profits get protected even faster. That is very unique. You can learn more here.
8. SmartStops offers Brokerlink. Which is a 2-way interaction with the broker and their API they offer to vendors like us. Currently we have it with TD Ameritrade and TradeKing/Ally with the potential to add E*Trade, Tradier and others who offer those capabilities. From all appearances (see Tradestops FAQs) it seems that Tradestops approach is simply an import of your portfolio. No ability to actually send the orders back out from the Tradestops platform exists. Whereas with SmartStops Brokerlink, you can actually set the trade stop faster then if you did it manually on your portfolio page on your broker’s platform. 9. Finally, setting up a customized portfolio could not be simpler! All we ask for is the symbol name. It’ll take you a few minutes to get set up. The market doesn’t care when you enter it nor how many shares you have. So building out another lengthy portfolio management toolset for you is not what we felt was the most important. In fact, our goal remains (with success initially in Europe to-date), we will get the broker’s to offer up our data right in your portfolio tool as that to us is the ideal user interface for someone active in the stock market. So help us get your broker to go do this! Let them know you want our Smart(R) Trailing stop or SmartStops.
We hope you will give the SmartStops.net service a try. We offer a 14 day free trial and your credit card will NOT be charged during that time. And whenever you decide you may not want to use our service, no matter what the time frame, you can actually get a real refund (not a credit towards something else) for your unused time.