Sync with Your Brokerage Account for Active Portfolio Protection
Now it is easier than ever to keep your investment portfolio in sync with your brokerage account such that you will always receive timely risk alerts on all stocks and etfs. Plus you can maintain an “intelligent” proactive daily stop loss price point protection on all your positions by having stop loss orders sent over to your broker daily.
Remember, setting a trailing stop percentage will protect gains and losses. But when you set just a random % number, you are limiting yourself with a less intelligent approach. To really let profits run and cut losses without getting easily whipsawed, you need much more of an intelligent stop. Percentage Trailing Stops have many limitations.
Now you can have the power of SmartStops for an optimized protection point to use as a stop loss order.
It’s As EASY as 1-2-3!
In fact, it’s faster to set the intelligent daily adjusting SmartStops across all your positions then if you did it manually on your broker’s platform. And with our Broker Integration, it is not just a one way import (read-only) of your positions. We import symbols and export trailing stop orders. All in seconds!
Maintaining stop loss price protection has never been easier
By syncing your portfolio, your stocks and etfs are imported into your SmartStops portfolio automatically. You do not have to manually enter each position. Plus by having stored your portfolio’s symbols (stocks and etfs only), you will now have the Smart(R) engine monitoring your positions and sending any risk alerts in real-time.
Which Brokers will Sync with SmartStops for Portfolio Protection?
First, it is important to note that unlike competitors, SmartStops actually has integrated with these brokers beyond just importing of positions. With our platform, you can actually send stop loss limit orders across to the broker’s platform in a secure fashion. And do so even faster then manually doing it on your broker’s platform!
This integration is currently with TD Ameritrade and TradeKing (ALLY) account holders.
– Nicole Sherrod, Managing Director, TD Ameritrade
– Kevin Delo, Sr. VP Product Management, TradeKing/Ally
To see additional brokers added, please contact us.
To see SmartStops data imported daily into your portfolio on your broker’s platform, please contact your broker.
For those just wanting to import their portfolios, it is easy to do manually on SmartStops (unlike competitors) without needing to sync. All we need is the symbol name. Adding 10 symbols takes a minute. See our FAQ for more information.
How Do I Sync My Brokerage Account?
For a more detailed description see our QuickStart Guide below.
Easily import your symbols (stocks & ETFs only) you’re your SmartStops account.
- Review which trailing stop loss you want to set. It will default to the Aggressive SmartStop. It’s easy to switch to the Conservative one. If you want to set your own, you can enter that price point as well.
- Then just click Submit and those orders are immediately transmitted over to your brokerage account.
Keep in mind the price stop you set will not automatically adjust daily on the broker’s platform as we can not store your personal account credentials of your broker. You will need to login into SmartStops and hit submit to send over the new optimized Smartstops data daily or as frequently as you desire.
If you buy or sell a position directly at your brokerage, SmartStops broker synchronization will automatically reflect that each time you sync your portfolio.
If you want it automatically adjusted daily on the broker’s platform, please contact your broker directly and ask them to bring SmartStops data into your portfolio daily on their platform. That way you could set Smartstops once and just let it run!
QuickStart Guide for Setting Up Broker Integration
QuickStart: Creating A BrokerLink Enabled Portfolio
- Click on Create a new portfolio.
- Enter a name for your portfolio and Select your broker.
- Then click the check box to BrokerLink to enable this portfolio and click Save & Continue.
- You will be prompted to enter the account information for the brokerage portfolio you would like to synchronize with. Complete this information and click Synchronize. You will now be viewing your synchronized portfolio.
QuickStart: Setting Up BrokerLink Stop Loss Orders
With BrokerLink, you can have protective stop order requests for your stocks automatically updated each day with the latest SmartStops
- From your My Portfolios page, select the BrokerLink portfolio you would like to manage.
- Go to the Orders tab for that portfolio and click the Synchronize button. You will be prompted to log in to your brokerage account. SmartStops.net does not store your brokerage login information.
Note: You must do this daily if you want the latest SmartStops stop loss price points set up for your orders. Feel free to ask your broker for a “turn it on and let it run” feature by enhancing their “API” that provides the interface. That way you wouldn’t have to do this daily. Or even better, get the SmartStops data brought to your broker’s platform by asking your broker for that feature.
- Once Synchronized, your latest portfolio of stock and etf symbols only will be shown in your SmartStops portfolio
- Select either a SmartStops (defaults to Aggressive) protective stop loss order or even put your own trailing stop loss price quote in. You can also choose to turn protection “on” or “off” per position. That setting can be saved for future use.
- The number of shares of your position you have on your broker’s platform will automatically display. You can change the amount however for the SmartStops stop loss order if you only want to exit part of the position if triggered.
- Click Save & Submit. Your protective stop loss price quotes are now transmitted to your portolio on your broker’s platform. Once accepted you will receive a confirmation of a successful transaction. These orders will automatically replace any orders generated from previous SmartStops brokerlink order requests.
If any issues hit, you will be shown an error message. Contact support for any help or questions if you run into an error. When you login to your broker’s platform you will see the order set up.
QuickStart: SmartStops BrokerLink Protection Status
The information presented as shown below, is always current as of the last synchronized date and time. Your first step in any procedure or analysis should always be to synchronize your portfolio to ensure you are viewing the latest information.
QuickStart: Maintaining & Updating BrokerLink Order Requests
At the end of each market day, you will receive your SmartStops Portfolio Risk Monitoring report. It will show you all your BrokerLink orders.
Reminder: Daily, you should login to your SmartStops account, go to the Brokerlink Order Requests page and Save & Submit your orders to transmit them over to your broker’s platform.
To make this interface even easier, please do ask your broker for a “turn it on and let it run” feature by enhancing their “API” that provides the interface. That way you wouldn’t have to do this daily.
Or even better, get the SmartStops data brought to your broker’s platform daily, by asking your broker for that feature. This would allow their platform to “turn it on and let it run” as well as provide you the Risk Alerts to help better protect your portfolio. Not that we don’t want you on our platform, but our goal is to ensure all investors and traders have easy-to-deploy intelligent Risk Management!